California Healthy Kids Survey
The Live Oak School District administers the California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS), sponsored by the California Department of Education (CDE), every year to students in grades 5 and 7. The CHKS is one of the most comprehensive surveys of its kind in the nation. It is an anonymous and confidential modular survey instrument that assesses school climate and safety, student engagement, student supports, and social-emotional, behavioral, and physical health.
Survey participation is voluntary and requires parent or guardian consent.
- Active Consent requires that a parent or legal guardian be notified of the survey and give permission for the student to participate. Active consent is required for the fifth-grade CHKS survey.
- Passive Consent requires that a parent or legal guardian be notified of the survey and is allowed to review the survey. Parents must notify the school if they do not want their child to participate in the survey. Passive consent is required for the seventh-grade CHKS survey.
The CHKS will be administered at LOSD schools from October 10 – October 24, 2023. Parents/guardians can review the survey questions at the office of their child's school, or by downloading the survey with the links below:
- Grade 5 Core CHKS Survey
- Grade 5 TUPE Survey (Tabacco-Use Prevention Education)
- Grade 7 Core CHKS Survey
- Grade 7 BHM Survey (Behavioral Health Module)
- Students are randomly given either Form A or Form B during administration so that no individual student answers both sets of questions.
Form A includes measures that were assessed in the 2022-23 Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) Module.
Form B includes measures that were assessed in the 2022-23 Mental Health Supports Module and Student Trauma Module.
- Grade 7 DFC (Drug-Free Communities)
The results from this survey are compiled into district- and county-level CHKS Reports. To view a copy of your district’s report, go to https://calschls.org/reports-data/search-lea-reports/ (Outside Source) and type in the district name.